CCMA welcomes you back for 2011-2012

The California College Media Association welcomes you to the 2011-12 school year.

We are excited about the upcoming year that will offer a variety of activities in your region. Our goal is to support student media throughout the state by offering enriching activities and networking events.

Newsroom tours
As you likely noticed, we are not offering a training workshop this fall. After polling students last year, we learned they want more local opportunities to meet professionals and get career advice. Registration is now open for a variety of newsroom tours this fall. Students in Southern California will have the chance to tour the Los Angeles Times and meet with journalists. In the Bay Area, students will be part of the audience for the “7Live” news show on ABC and then stay for a Q&A.

We are also planning events at NBC-4 in Los Angeles, KPCC in Pasadena and more in the Bay Area. Space is limited to 15-20 people per tour. We hope to offer more tours in the spring.

Upcoming events
In addition, CCMA is connecting with more local chapters of professional journalism associations (i.e., Society of Professional Journalists, California Chicano News Media Association) to include our students in their events or mixers. Check the CCMA website, our Facebook page and Twitter (@calcollegemedia) for these opportunities. We have added a calendar to our website to help everyone stay up on events around the state and important deadlines. Two upcoming events include:

• The California Chicano News Media Association’s annual Journalism Opportunities Fair, Oct. 20-21 at USC. This is FREE to students (they must pay $20 to register and it is refunded upon check-in). The dues are only free through Oct. 3, 2011, so register now. There will be resume workshops, critiques, access to recruiters and more.

• The annual AAJA-LA Trivia Bowl XVI, which is a fundraiser, is scheduled to take place on Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. at ABC7 studio in the L.A. area. Click here if your college wants to sponsor a team and participate.

Annual contest and career workshop in the spring
Stay tuned for details about our annual statewide contest — entries will be due in December. And, last, but not least, CCMA is planning a bigger and better career workshop and awards ceremony in the spring. The event will be help April 20-21, 2012, at CSU Fullerton and will include two days of workshops that focus on getting a job, tips on creating a digital portfolio, critiques, expert panels on hiring and much more. We will conclude the weekend with our awards ceremony that Saturday night.

On behalf of the CCMA board, we wish you well in the upcoming year. Feel free to offer feedback about the CCMA and what we can do to improve the student media experience throughout California. And, if you have an event to promote, don’t hesitate to contact us at cacollegemedia@gmail.com.

Best regards,

Melissa Lalum
President, California College Media Association
818-677-2243
cacollegemedia@gmail.com