CCMA career workshop schedule

April 21, 2012 @ CSU Fullerton

8 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.: Registration and welcome

All sessions in Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion

10 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. : Resume, cover letter and portfolio critiques

Gabrielino Room

Get your materials reviewed by experienced media professionals Randy Hagihara, John Futch and Diana Swartz. Sign up for a time at the registration desk. Click here for more information on Randy, John and Diana.

9:15 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: The real job market

Recent grads share their experiences finding a job in today’s economy.

Panelists: Amanda Dennin, multimedia advertising consultant with Orange County Register Communications; Samantha Tata, digital journalist at NBC4; Samantha Schaefer, freelancer and web producer at the L.A. Times; Nicole Vas, page designer at the L.A. Daily Journal; Ari Bloomekatz, reporter at the L.A. Times. Click here for panelist bios.

10:50 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.: Building your brand

A panel discussion on how to build your most important asset – YOU – through social media, online portfolios, blogs and more.  Panelists: Alice Walton, publisher and editor of TheCityMaven.com; Greg Hernandez, founder of GreginHollywood.com and Gay Star News correspondent; Ryan Chartrand, senior social media strategist at Pechanga Resort & Casino; Travis Cross, community manager with The Armory: Ad Agency + Production Co. Click here for panelist bios.

CCMA Outstanding Service Award: Randy Hagihara

The California College Media Association has relied on the service of Randy Hagihara since the organization’s founding in 2003. As senior editor for recruitment at the Los Angeles Times and director of the paper’s reporter training and summer internship programs, Randy has been an invaluable resource for many of our students, offering guidance as they made the transition from student to professional media. His constant willingness to speak to students about applying for jobs and internships, along with the mentorship he has offered to new professionals at the Times, have made him a cherished resource. Additionally, Randy has served CCMA directly, coordinating judging for our General Excellence category and other categories for many years running. The CCMA board, along with hundreds of students and advisers, owe Randy a huge “thank you” for his dedication and service.

12 p.m. – 12:50 p.m.: Lunch and Keynote with Tony Pierce, KPCC blogs editor

Boxed lunch provided in Portola Pavilion

Tony Pierce is the Blog Editor at KPCC (89.3 FM). A graduate of UC Santa Barbara’s mysterious College of Creative Studies, Tony was the editor of LAist (laist.com), a hyperlocal glob about Los Angeles. Within a year and half, LAist was quadrupling the page views of the LA Times’ most popular blog — a detail he highlighted when he applied to work for the Times. The LA Times hired him a few weeks later in 2007 as its Blog Editor. Over three years there he increased traffic from 3 million page views a month to 72 million a month. Tony has been writing on his personal blog, busblog.com for over 10 years. he lives in Hollywood where he enjoys eating tacos.

1 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.: Nailing the interview

Learn how to seal the deal with a killer interview, led by Jennifer Aquino, CCMA board member, NDNU lecturer, writer and editor.

2 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.: Crossover skills

Learn from the pros the skills you need to succeed in today’s changing media landscape. Panelists: Andy Sternberg, adjunct instructor of digital journalism in USC Annenberg’s graduate program and founding partner and digital strategist at Adler Integrated; Diana Swartz, Patch regional editor for the Westside; Sara Catania, editorial director for digital media at NBC4, Southern California; Robert Meeks, online editor for the Long Beach Press-Telegram; Doug Smith, database editor of the L.A. Times. Click here for panelist bios.

3 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.: To go to grad school or not?

Is more education worth the time and money? Panelists: Anthony Pesce,  L.A. Times digital editor; Leon Braswell, director of admission and financial aid at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism; Rachel de Leon, future Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism student; Marc Zarefsky, communications and social media manager for Medill at Northwestern University. Click here for panelist bios.

4 p.m: Closing remarks

6:30 p.m.: CCMA Excellence in Student Media Awards Banquet

Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion

Join student media throughout the state in celebrating exemplary work at our annual awards ceremony.