Candidate info for CCMA board of directors

Most of the current California College Media Association board members are seeking re-election to one year terms in this spring’s election, which will be conducted online from May 12-14.

Here is biographical information for each candidate:

President
Mark Plenke (incumbent)
Mark is a faculty member at California State University, Chico, and adviser to its student newspaper, The Orion. He came to Chico five years ago from Minnesota, where he advised award-winning student newspapers at Normandale Community College and Anoka-Ramsey Community College. He is a former daily newspaper reporter and editor and spent two years in news management at KMSP-TV in the Twin Cities. He holds a master’s degree in journalism and mass communication from the University of Minnesota and a bachelor’s degree from Southwest Minnesota State.

Vice President, Training and Conference
Brady Teufel (incumbent)
Brady is an associate professor of journalism at Cal Poly where he teaches courses in digital journalism, news reporting, visual communication and photojournalism. He is also the adviser of mustangnews.net. Teufel earned his bachelor’s degree in sociology from the University of California at Santa Cruz and his master’s degree in journalism from University of Missouri. Teufel has worked for magazines, newspapers and Internet startups. Most recently, his website digitaljournalism.org was named one the 105 Vital Resources for Journalists by journalismdegree.org.

Vice President, Contests
Michael Chute (incumbent)
Professor of journalism and public relations at California Baptist University, Michael is also director of the Journalism & New Media and Public Relations program there. An award-winning writer, editor and photojournalist, he has held numerous positions in journalism and public relations, and his work has appeared in a number of wire services, newspapers and magazines. Michael served 15 years as an overseas correspondent, living in Brazil, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and learned Portuguese and Chinese. He has traveled in more than 50 countries throughout South America, Asia, Europe and Africa, and covered major international stories, including the Tiananmen Square crackdown, fall of the Soviet Union, Pol Pot regime, overthrown of the monarchy in Nepal, eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines, among many others.

Vice President, Membership
Jennifer Burger
Jennifer has been the adviser to The Runner at CSU Bakersfield since 2013. She worked as a newspaper reporter and editor for 12 years in California before starting her teaching career. Jennifer has a master’s degree in journalism from UC Berkeley (’03) and a bachelor’s in journalism from CSU Sacramento (’98).

Treasurer
Gretchen Macciarella (incumbent)
Gretchen is the publisher and faculty advisor for The Sundial at California State University, Northridge. Prior to joining CSUN, she was the managing editor for digital at the Ventura County Star, where she held several position over a decade. She earned a master’s degree in digital journalism and design from the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, and a bachelor’s degree in communications from the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Secretary
Michael Longinow (incumbent)
Michael is a professor and the faculty adviser to The Chimes and Chimes online in the Department of Media, Journalism and Public Relations at Biola University. A campus newspaper adviser for 27 years, he has served as an officer for campus media groups in two regions of the country: Kentucky Intercollegiate Press Association (16 years) and with CCMA (since 2007). He is active as a workshop presenter with the Associated Collegiate Press and College Media Advisers. He serves as national executive director of Advisers of Christian Collegiate Media.

At-Large Board Members

Toni Albertson (incumbent)
Toni is a professor of journalism and adviser to student media at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif. Since coming to Mt. SAC in 2006, she turned around a troubled journalism program with low enrollment and turned it into an award-winning program that was called by Nieman Lab ” the most daring, innovative college media outlets in the United States.”  Under her guidance, the student media stopped all print publications, and in a unique partnership, moved its newsroom over to Medium. The student media also recently launched a hyper-local reporting news site on Twitter, with student staff covering more than 15 local communities, and a news site in partnership with the Washington Post making Mt. SAC the only community college, along with USC Annenberg, Columbia, and University of Maryland, to be included in this pilot program.

Richard Craig (incumbent)
Richard has been adviser to San Jose State’s Spartan Daily student media outlet since 2002 and oversaw the development of a program that has won numerous state and national awards.  A professor at San Jose State, he’s been a CCMA board member for three years and has been involved with many other journalism organizations in California and nationwide.  As a CCMA board member, he has served as the master of ceremonies at the CCMA’s annual awards banquet each of the last three years.

Joe Wirt (incumbent)
Joe has served as the media industry representative on the board for the past two years and oversees business development and external relations for CNPA Services Inc., which serves nonprofit associations including the California Newspaper Publishers AssociationHe also is administrator of the California Press Foundation. He serves as career and education spokesman for the California newspaper industry. And he highlights training opportunities and business-to-business opportunities for managers and personnel at California newspapers. Joe also edits a weekly email newsletter (CNPA Bulletin) and a quarterly newspaper (California Publisher) covering industry news and issues. He manages website content and, in his spare time, strives to speak IT, marketing, social media, and digital and mobile publishing. He was editor of The Daily Collegian at Fresno State in Fall 1986.

Student Board Member
Brigette Lugo
Brigette is the managing editor and incoming editor-in-chief of the Washington Post-partnered student media news site, Saconscene, at Mt. San Antonio College. She is also the editor of Somos, a Spanish-Language multimedia series that she created for the student media at Mt. SAC. She has won numerous awards from CCMA, JACC, and CMA for her news and feature reporting. She plans to transfer after completing her associate degree in journalism at Mt. SAC in Spring 2018 to a local university to pursue her bachelor’s in journalism with an emphasis on Spanish language journalism. She hopes to work as a multimedia journalist in Spanish language media.