DIVISIONS & CATEGORIES
A: Dailies (published three or more times per week)
B: Weeklies (published fewer than three times per week)
C: Non-weeklies (published less than once per week)
Please submit three different days’ complete editions for categories 1 and 2. For all other categories, limit the number of entries to one per student and NO MORE THAN ONE per newspaper per category. The same story may not be submitted in more than one category. Submit PDFs of original tearsheet(s) with item to be judged highlighted (i.e., border around story, headline, photo, etc.) Or, in the case of work published online only, submit the URL linked to your website.
- Best Newspaper (submit 3 different days’ complete editions)
- Best Overall Newspaper Design (submit 3 different days’ complete editions)
- Best News Series (submit up to 3 articles in a series)
- Best Breaking News Story
- Best Non-Breaking News Story
- Best Feature Story (for any subject – i.e., news, sports)
- Best Editorial
- Best Newspaper Column (e.g., arts & entertainment, sports, etc.)
- Best Arts & Entertainment Story
- Best Sports Story
- Best News Photograph
- Best Sports Photograph
- Best Features Photograph
- Best Photo Illustration
- Best Photo Series (minimum 3 photos on same subject)
- Best Newspaper Page/Spread Design (e.g., news, sports, features, etc.)
- Best Headline Portfolio (3 headlines by the same person, include story with headline)
- Best Infographic
- Best Illustration/Cartoon
- Best Special Issue/Section (e.g., could include back-to-school or orientation issues)
ONLINE (Best Website judged during January 2015)
Division D: Newspaper Web sites
- Best Website (submit Website URL)
- Best Blog (submit URL of blog)
- Best Multimedia Presentation (submit URL with link to specific presentation; must be stand-alone story or series that makes use of multiple media (e.g. audio slideshows, video, Flash presentations, photo galleries, etc.).
- Best Use of Social Media (submit summary paragraph –250 words maximum – explaining subject, process and result of how social media was used; provide links (i.e., examples) that demonstrate how social media was effectively used
- Best Interactive Graphic (submit URL)
- Best Podcast (submit URL of podcast)
- Best Audio Slideshow (submit URL of slideshow)
- Best News Video (submit URL of video; can be stand-alone story or part of a package)
- Best Non-News Video (eg., arts & entertainment, sports, features, etc.; submit URL of video; can be stand-alone story or part of a package)
Division E: Magazines, either affiliated or not affiliated with a campus newspaper
Please submit PDFs of original tearsheet(s) or , in the case of work published online-only, URLs linked to your website. Highlight item with border to be judged (i.e., story, photo, etc.).
- Best Magazine Excellence (submit 1 entire magazine)
- Best Magazine Story
- Best Magazine Column (e.g., arts & entertainment, Sports, etc.; online-only stories OK)
- Best Magazine Page/Spread Design (e.g., news, sports, features, etc.)
- Best Magazine Photo
- Best Magazine Website (submit URL for the magazine)
Division F: All newspapers and magazines
- Best B&W Advertisement
- Best Color Advertisement
- Best Group Promotion (a group of ads making up one large ad – i.e., business directory, shopping center ad, etc.)
- Best Sales Promotion Materials (e.g., media kits, rate cards, promotions)
- Best Online Ad (submit URL where ad can be viewed online or submit a color screenshot of how the ad looked on the page when it ran)
- Best Online Promotion (submit URL of promotion or color screenshot of what the promotion looked like on the page; give a summary paragraph if necessary)
DIVISIONS & CATEGORIES
- In the Best Newspaper and Best Overall Newspaper Design categories, a school must submit three entries per category. In all other categories there is a limit of one entry per student and NO MORE THAN ONE entry per news organization per category. If a news organization submits one entry as a double byline, it can also submit a single byline as a second entry. Special editions – e.g., Back-to-School, Orientation Issues, etc. – are not eligible for the Best Newspaper category. The same story, headline, photo, etc., may not be submitted in more than one newspaper and magazine category.
- For newspaper, magazine and advertising categories, submit original, full-page PDFs of tearsheets with item to be judged highlighted (i.e., border around story, headline, photo, etc.). For online categories, submit the URL for the item to be judged.
- All entries must have been published between Dec. 5, 2013 and Dec. 6, 2014.
- Entries must be uploaded by Dec. 8, 2014.
- Entry forms must be completely filled out and uploaded properly. An incomplete entry form or improperly uploaded entry will result in disqualification. Remember: A student’s name must be listed for every entry except the best publication or best section/edition categories.
- Fill out the entry spreadsheet; keep one copy for your records and email another copy to Michael Chute (email@example.com), vice president for Contest/Awards.
- Multiple entries by the same individual in the same category will be disqualified unless one is a double byline. If the same story is entered in more than one newspaper and/or magazine category, it will be disqualified from all categories.
- Entries may be accompanied by support materials, including any impact on the school/community as a result of publication of the items contained in the entries submitted. Any written statements must be limited to 250 words.
- A school may submit more than one entry in the Best Magazine category, but each magazine may not be entered more than once.
- All entries should reflect the work of enrolled students at the time of publication at the college or university, unless otherwise credited. There must not be mandatory review by an adviser of content before publication.
- No hand delivery or fax entries accepted as only uploaded entries and e-mailed spreadsheets will be accepted.
- Only one adviser signature page is required for school’s entire set of entries.
- The judges reserve the right to modify the awards program at any time. If, at the discretion of the judges, there are insufficient quantity or quality of entries in a category, prizes or prize levels may not be awarded in that category, or newspaper divisions may be combined.
- The decisions of the judges are final.
- Entries will not be returned.